Thursday, 22 August 2013

Raspberry & Elderflower Sponge Cake (GBBO #1)

I have been persuaded to join the Great Bloggers Bake Off by Jenny over at Mummy Mishaps.

As readers will know, I'm not a very creative baker - I tend to stick to the basic sponge with different decorations so I think this will be a good challenge for me, and hopefully I'll learn a thing or two along the way as well. Although I'm not sure how good it will be for my waistline...Cue willing tasters!

This weeks episode of the Great British Bake Off saw the contestants face three challenges:
 - sandwich sponge
- angel food cake
- chocolate showstopper
I thought I'd keep it simple for week #1 and produce one of my classics - a sandwich sponge!

 
Raspberry & Elderflower Sponge Cake
 
 
Ingredients
200g softened butter
200g caster sugar
200g self raising flour
4 eggs
70g raspberries
 
Method 
Line two sandwich tins
Pre heat oven to 180C
Beat together butter and sugar until pale and creamy
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs
Gradually add the eggs into the butter & sugar mix, beat well
Toss raspberries in flour
Sift flour into mix
Add raspberries
Fold with metal spoon
Divide between two tins
Bake for about 25 minutes
 
Elderflower Frosting 
60ml double cream
200g mascarpone
90g icing sugar
2 teaspoon elderflower cordial
 
Beat together all of the ingredients until the mixture makes peaks
 
Sandwich the frosting between the two (cooled) cakes and then spread a thin layer of frosting around the sides of the cake and over the top. This acts as a 'glue' for the chocolate fingers & raspberries.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
If you would like to join in the 'Great Bloggers Bake Off' head over to these two blogs for all of the rules and information:
 
Jenny Berry aka: Mummy Mishaps 
 
Helen Hollywood aka: The Crazy Kitchen
   
mummy mishaps

6 comments:

  1. that looks absolutely gorgeous! I am loving elderflower cordial at the moment so I bet that icing is lovely. Thanks for joining in with the #GreatBloggersBakeOff

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh this is so pretty to look at and i love using elderflower in place of vanilla in my sponges. and i have have not tried dusting fruit in flour before adding to cake mixture - does this stop them from sinking? thats what usually happens when I use fruit in cakes!!
    thank you for linking up and i look forward to seeing what you make each week xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used elderflower in my baking but that looks delicious so I'll definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fab if i was in your kitchen i couldnt help but to keep nibbling on your lovely cake

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds and looks amazing. I love the idea of the elderflower and I love the taste so I will have to give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great :) I love elderflower and raspberry.

    ReplyDelete