Sunday, 1 September 2013

Pizza Pinwheels (GBBO #2)

In the second round of The Great British Bakeoff the contestants were asked to produce the following: 

- breadsticks
- English breakfast muffins
- showstopper bread 

I had a (slightly failed!) attempt at making muffins, and although they tasted good, they were very flat! 


Not to be defeated by bread I decided to try a different recipe and create something my weekend guests could be the judge of... My 9 and 5 year old nephews! 

I decided to try pizza pinwheels. I used Jenny's recipe (c/o Paul Hollywood!) for the dough, and after leaving it to rise spectacularly, I rolled it out into a rectangle shape, spread tomato puree as the pizza base and then added pepperoni, mozzarella, cheddar and basil for toppings. 

This was then rolled up tightly, sliced into 10 equal (ish!) pieces, and placed on a baking sheet for another 30 minutes to rise further. 

I then cooked them for around 15 minutes at 200C


 
 

The verdict from my nephews was "Sarah you should go on Masterchef" - haha, so I'll take that as a compliment! Next time I make them I'll add more filling, I was a bit dubious about how much to put in and whether it would all fall out but I think they could handle a bit more pepperoni, or maybe even some pineapple..?!

I'm really enjoying the bake off challenge and attempting to make different things I wouldn't normally do - whether they're a success or not, it's all part of the learning!

If you would like to join in the 'Great Bloggers Bake Off' head over to these two blogs for all of the rules and information:
 
Jenny Berry aka: Mummy Mishaps 
 
Helen Hollywood aka: The Crazy Kitchen
   
mummy mishaps

3 comments:

  1. i was going to attempt some pizza ones next time and now i have seen your pinwheels (i should have called my buns pinwheels i love the name!) i will as they look fab! i am glad your nephews appreciated your buns so much lol
    thank you for linking up again x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love pizza pinwheels & they are so easy too aren't they. I haven't yet attempted muffins & I'm sure mine will be flat too!

    ReplyDelete